The Powerful Effect of Music on Alzheimer’s Patients
There is just something magical about music that nothing else compares to it. This power is especially distinctive when music and art is presented for people living with Alzheimer’s disease. According to the Alzheimer Foundation, music has the ability to reduce agitation and improve behaviors. If you have someone in your family who is suffering from Alzheimer’s of dementia, considering these following tips when playing music for the individual.
- Find something that the person is familiar with and enjoy
- Let the patient choose if they have the ability to
- Online stream services Spotify or Pandora are convenient, but free services include ads, and the interruption may agitate the person
- Use appropriate music to set the mood (Relaxing music to calm down the mood & faster music to liven up their spirit)
- Try to ease them into the music, see how the individual is reponding to the presentation, and not just play a lot of songs in a row
It is amazing to see the before and after state for seniors who have just experienced music from their youth. So if you know someone who is going living with Alzheimer’s, consider using music as a tool to improve their quality of life!
Caregivers at A-1 Home Care in Westwood provide companionship and exceptional support to keep your loved ones safe. With at least 2 years of professional caregiving experience and CPR certification, we personalize each home care service to cater to each client’s needs and requirements in Westwood, Studio City, Century City, Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, Palos Verdes, Malibu, Redondo Beach, and other surrounding areas. We are versatile in our care as well, offering customized in home care such as After Surgery Care, Diabetic Care, Alzheimer Care, Arthritis Care, Parkinson Care, Incontinence Care, Multiple Sclerosis Care, Hospice Care, Kidney Disease Care, Lou Gehrig’s Disease Care, and other Elderly Care assistance services.